Sunday, September 03, 2006

LVM Training: Week 2 in da books

Thursday afternoon I met some people at the lake for an open water swim. We swam 3 laps around the buoys, which made about 1200 yards, according to one of the guys who swims out there a lot. It was a good swim, although I was the slowest one out of the 5 of us, ofcourse. I did pay close attention to my recovery stroke and made sure it was nice and relaxed like Coach Dan told me. I don't know if I'm any faster yet, but I do know that it takes a lot less energy than the "forceful and tense" recovery stroke I did have.

Friday morning I met my mother at the gym for some strength training. We mainly concentrated on shoulders, arms and chest. I didn't want to do legs since I had a long run the next morning. I struggle with that conflict a lot...I want to do lunges and weight exercises for my legs, but then they leave my legs sore and tired for my next run. Any advice out there? I just simply do not like the way my legs look when I am just running or cycling. I feel much better about them when I am doing toning exercises a couple times a week. After the strength training Bo and I took a short jog on the greenway and then played in the park.

Saturday morning I got a late start on my long run of 15 miles. I had intended on starting at 6:30 a.m., but I didn't actually start until 7:30. It was a great morning to be running, though - cool and overcast. Around mile 5 I notice some knee pain again in my left knee. I remembered that I had forgotten to stretch my IT band, but it didn't really feel like that afterall. It stayed pretty low key, though, not hindering me very much. The only real problem that I had was that I ran too far away from my house, and ended up finishing my 15 miles about a mile too short. Ugh. I finished the 15 miles in 2:28:45 - 9:55/mile pace. My pace, according to FIRST, was supposed to be 9:45. I was pleased with my effort, though, so no beating myself up over it. I used that last mile as a walking/jogging cool down. My knee felt very sore and tight the rest of the evening. I iced it twice and took some naprosen. We took the boys to the batting cage and to see "How To Eat Fried Worms" to finish up the evening.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Congrats on a great long run. Hope we can start getting some of these long runs done together!

Take care of that knee!

Rae said...

Great job on the LR! It seems so crazy that everyone is back up in the high mileage again! It must be marathon season!

Lance Notstrong said...

I have a friend that says the opposite about her legs. She thinks they look better when she's concetrating on the bike.