Monday, July 10, 2006

Manchester Star Triathlon: Close, but No Cigar

I got 2nd overall female in the Manchester Star Triathlon. And what sucks about that is that my time was the same as the first overall female. She beat me by, like, half a step. Yeah, tough to swallow. But half a step is half a step, right? That's right. But it was a great race.

I was without my Dad who takes such great pictures for me, because he went on a 4 wheeling trip this past weekend, so no pics for this one. J.T. was supposed to be there, but he and the boys didn't make it either. I hadn't felt all that great this past week, but I awoke feeling pretty good Saturday morning. I didn't rush to the race site, as it was only 3 minutes from my house. I just took my time, got down there and went through all the packet pick up, body marking, bathroom visits, etc. This race was a reverse tri, so the run was first. I was nervous about this, because I am used to giving the run absolutely everything left in me. But that wouldn't work this time - I had to stay under control. So we all lined up (58 participants) and took off. I took off nice and easy, not too fast, not too slow. I caught up with a girl that looked pretty competitve and passed her around mile 1. She would turn out to be the one beat me. I think the mile markers were off because my splits didn't seem to look right, but I kept trucking, keeping my heart rate just below lactate threshhold. With about 3/4 mile to go, the girl I referred to earlier caught me. We chatted a minute, wished each other good luck and came to the end of the run together. My run time turned out to be a 5k PR! Run Time: 23:19

The problem starts here. The girl I'm competing with gets outta transition way faster than I do. I was a little winded from the run, and took a cup of water from a volunteer when I should have just waited until I got on the bike. After a mile or so, I spotted the girl and proceeded to try and catch her. Around mile 8 I did. I hung with her for a couple miles, then passed. We were both aware at this point that we were fighting for the first spot, and she didn't let me get too far away. We battled back and forth, but rolled into transition at the same time. I knew she was a better swimmer than I am, so hopped off my bike, racked it, and frantically pulled off my bike shoes, grabbed my googles and swim cap, and raced to the pool ahead of her. T1 + BikeTime + T2: 49: 39

As I made the turn to the swimming pool, my friend Sarah who was volunteering said "Go Lana...she's right behind you!!" So I dove into the pool and water filled goggles. "GREAT!!! Oh well, no time to fix them!" I started swimming and felt like I was getting nowhere. I was kicking like I was still pedaling the bike. At the wall of the first length, she passed me. At this point, I settled down, fixed my kick and drafted behind her. I never was able to pass her, but did get close enough that she kicked me in the head a couple times. When I reached the wall before the last length, I pushed and gave it everthing I had. I guess she was doing the same, because when I came to the end I saw that she was getting out of the pool. BUT - as she gets out, she falls....and I am getting out at this point. I almost catch up, but she regains her composure and crosses the finish line a half step ahead of me. Swim Time: 3:49

Total Race Time: 1:16:47

Here's what the little devil on my shoulder says "2nd place? What? You're kidding me. 2nd place is the 1st loser, baby! You should've beaten that girl....my gosh, she was 40 something years old. There was a million ways you should've gained a half step on her. You coulda dove over the finish line, ya know."

But I'm not buying it. I'm competitive, and I LOVE the competition. That's why I love triathlons so much. But this is just my second season. I'm still learning, ya know. I'm still improving. Next time I see that girl out a course, I'll figure out a way, it it fits into my goals for that race. And the next time I am neck and neck with someone the whole way, maybe I won't let them stay with me for so long, if I can help it. And I've got to do something about my slow swimming. That, in itself lost the race for me. And about that diving over the finish line...I did that in the 6th grade...on the pavement. It was the qualifier for the county fair events - 50 yd dash. I was running as fast as I possibly I could, but couldn't hardly keep up. Something came over me as I approached the finish line, and I dove, head first...and ate the pavement...ouch. I got up covered in blood....and it still didn't get me there in time. I learned my lesson that time. So instead of doing that again, I'll just go back to the training, make adjustments, and get her the next time. Or get whoever it may be the next time.

13 comments:

Bridgette said...

WOW GREAT JOB! You'll definitely get her next time.

Rice said...

oh wow that sounds like such an awesome race! You ROCK!

Cheers.

Rice.

Lance Notstrong said...

That is a tough one to swallow. Sounds like you did great anyway :-)

Michele said...

I wish I could have seen that finish, but yet AGAIN I was behind you!!!!

Great job you did awesome.

Hope you are enjoying the beach!!

Anonymous said...

What a great race!

Brooke said...

The chant heard around my house is.."First is the worst, second is the best, third is the one...

(okay I don't remember the rest, but my kids sing this all the time.)

Cliff said...

Lana,

way to smoke that course..

There is always next time and to kick some serious butt...

Backofpack said...

I've never heard of a reverse tri - that's cool! Did it feel much different from the regular tri?

Sheesh, a half step! Frustrating, but it sounds like you gave it your all. Way to go!

Eric said...

Awesome race. Regardless you kicked some major booty.

I hope you and that other woman shared some laughs after the race. No matter how competitive things get, it's all about having fun.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

BackofPack - Yes, it felt different from a regular tri. I thought I was going to drown when I first got into the water after getting off the bike!!! It took about 25 yds to feel like I was actually swimming.

Eric - Yes, we did share some laughs and chatted for awhile afterwards. Regardless of the outcome, those kinds of races make for a real blast!!

Joe said...

Second place overall is so awesome! Way to go!

The swim took only 3:49? That's so short compared to the run and the bike. Why do they even bother calling it a TRI-athlon? They should call it a Du-ish-athlon or perhaps a Duathlon Plus.

Anonymous said...

very proud of you--sorry i missed it. 2nd place overall is awesome.

E-Speed said...

2nd overall is great! You did very good especially considering the swim was your weak sport and it was last!

Hope the tri this weekend went well!