Saturday, November 04, 2006

Tempo run, Team Nashville Half, and Goodluck to those at IMFL

First of all, I have to say that my thoughts, prayers and good luck wishes are with all those competing at IronMan Florida today. Especially TriMama, Nancy Toby , Shelley, The Kahuna, Bolder in Boulder and RoboStu- you guys ROCK!!! I just checked on TriMama and she is off the bike and is rocking the course!! I checked on Nancy and saw that she made it through the swim, but they haven't updated her bike time yet. You guys are all awesome!

Thursday's tempo run went okay, it was a 6 mile run with the first mile easy and the following 5 miles at target pace of 8:06. I got up and did the run at 5:30 a.m. was fairly close to the target, but never did hit it. Splits were 10:02, 8:22, 8:18, 8:09, 8:29, and 8:10. Total Time for 6 miles: 51:34

So I did nothing on Thursday, swam 2000 yards on Friday, and then got ready for the Team Nashville Half Marathon in Goodletsville on Saturday morning. Michele offered to pick me up at 5:15 a.m., and I took her up on it. We made the trip to Moss-Wright Park in Goodletsville just in time for the 7 a.m. start. It was a beautful morning to be running. I did this race last year without too much long distance training and kind of struggled through it to finish in 2:04 and some change. It's quite a hilly course, with 3 very significant hills that can really humble a runner. Today, I just wanted to break 2 hours. My PR for a half was set at the flat and fast Tom King Half Mary this past March, with a 1:51:02, but I didn't figure I could get close to that on this course. I started out around an 8:30 pace though, and didn't feel too bad, so I just kept trucking, and the miles ticked off. The first hill didn't seem as bad as I had remembered it, and the second didn't seem bad at all. After the second hill at mile 8, I picked out runners in front of me to catch, and continued to push my pace without blowing up. The final hill seemed a little worse than last year though, but I pushed up it and passed a couple more runners. When I made the final turn into the finish, I saw that the clock said 1:51 something, and I was pretty happy about that!!! I sprinted in and passed another runner, and my clock time was 1:51:37...although my Garmin said1:51:58...kinda weird, it looks like it would be the other way around..oh well. Anyways, official results aren't out yet - so I'll report an official time later. Michele did great as well, beating her time from last year by a couple minutes (her time from last year was already under 2 hours though). And since we had lots of obligations at home today, we didn't hang around - we headed straight home and got back by 10:30 a.m. Here are the splits according to my Garmin:

6 comments:

Cliff said...

Lana,

Interesting. Your pace is faster on your race day than your tempo run. Congrats.

Anonymous said...

Great race...congrats!

Phil said...

Lana ... great race today. You really picked up the pace on the last 4 miles. Little wonder you were passing people. Those first couple of hills didn't feel as steep because you're in much better shape this year. Very impressive.

Rae said...

Great job!!!!

Lance Notstrong said...

Awesome run Lana. Vegas will be a cake walk :-)

Tri-Dummy said...

Lana,
I know this is a late comment, but I was wondering what kind of Garmin you are using. Is it user friendly. Thank you very much,
Jay