Saturday, September 30, 2006

Crash

Yep. I crashed 6 miles into the Delta 100k. And as if that weren't enough, I crashed into Michele, causing her to crash as well. Lovely. All or nothing baby...that's how I am...having a brilliant 20 miler one day...and then crashing my bike the next. ~sigh~ The story of my life.
I am going to keep this short and sweet, because I am not going to dwell on it. Here's what happened: I'm cruising along about 18 mph, not many people around at the moment, so I drop down to my aerobars. Just cruising along the flat. Michele cruises up to my left and for some reason which I still do not know, I veer over close to her. So close, as a matter of fact, that my brake lever locks around her handle bar. And in a split second our bikes are stuck together. There were a few seconds of Michele screaming "LANA!!!". My eyeballs were as big as golf balls, but I couldn't get anything to come out of my mouth. And then we crashed....skidding along the road before coming to a stop. I had no real monumental thoughts as I was slidding across the pavement, other than hoping Michele was not hurt and hoping my new helmet was okay. I knew I was okay, everything except my pride, ofcourse. I knew that we were going down before it happened...so when we did I just tucked my chin and took a ride. A bumpy ride I might add. As it turns out, I have some pretty nasty scrapes and bruises, mainly on my knee, hip and elbow....and my helmet was okay, other than a couple scratches. My new Pearl Izumi jacket has a small hole in it, too, but it will still work. Michele wasn't as lucky. Her head hit the pavement hard and actually cracked her helmet. Her elbow was pretty torn up, and she was pretty well scrapped from her shoulder to her ankle. She about passed out after standing up, and we deemed it necessary that she call it quits on the day. We called the SAG wagon, and I went back with her.

I don't really know what to say, other than I feel awful about it, and I am pretty embarassed. It certainly ruined a good day for cycling. Lessons learned?...stay off the aerobars while riding with a group, maybe?? Perhaps I could have reacted better if I weren't on the aerobars.

12 comments:

Michele said...

I am glad you are ok. I have been worried that once you got home you would realize that more then just your pride got hurt.

I just got a coupon from Performance bike in my email. I think that is a sign. Time to do some shopping!!!!!

I really feel bad that you didn't get to finish. I still think I LOOK worse then I actually am. Sorry I turned green and gave you such a scare.

Lance Notstrong said...

These things happen, don't dwell on it. If it were me I would have been worried more about the bikes :-)

Crashes like this are exactly why I tell people, you HAVE to shave your legs!!! Good thing you and Michele shave.....you do don't you??? LOL!!! :-)

Papa Louie said...

Oh, sorry to hear about the mishap. I'm glad you two are ok. As Lance said things like this happen and not much you can do. I ride in aerobars while with others. I think it's ok to do that but you do have to be carefull if you turn your head you will veer in that direction. Got to look straight and have good peripheral vision.

Brooke said...

I'm sorry. Those days happen and it seems like Michelle has forgiven you, so nothing left to do now but get back out there.

Joe said...

Wow, when I read "I crashed 6 miles into the Delta 100k" I thought you meant that you got really tired all of a sudden. Then I read the next sentence and realized that you really did crash. I'm glad you're okay!

Rae said...

What a bummer! These things happen though and it's good that neither one of you were hurt!

Cliff said...

Lana,

Don't worry about the helmet..

it is better to have a cracked helmet than a cracked head! :)

At least none of u lost any tooth...like mine in my last bike accident :D

As for your comment in my blog....yeah.t.hose tv sucks...i can't believe it is how the world works...(some ppl do that)...

second..no i didn't hop. Perhaps I should next time before i cross the finsih line :D

Bridgette said...

I read in Bicycling Magazine that its not a matter of if you're going to wreck, but when. I'm glad that you are ok - and especially Michele! The only way we get good at new things is to do them, so I say keep going on those aerobars.

I know, I have Bicycling Magazine, WOmen's Health Magazine, AND Runners World. You'd think I'd be faster/thinner/better, right? :)

Trisaratops said...

Oh no! I'm glad you guys are OK!

Phil said...

Glad you're OK. Just remember that even the professionals crash into each other, unfortunate, but it's part of the game. However, I understand why you feel terrible about what happened to your friend. Fortunately, both of you were smart enough to wear helmets and lived to ride (and run) again.

Both of you will heal quickly.

Dubs said...

Had to check in on you -- had read Michelle's blog. I don't ride bicycles (except when my car is in the shop) but a lot of Olympians and hopefulls come out here to train. I must say -- I agree -- you WILL fall, you WILL wreck.. looks like you did it right. You didn't break any bones, total your bikes or get hit by a car (as has happened out here - idiot drivers - give them some space!). All you can do is be sure and try to learn something so the likelyhood of the same thing happening again is decreased. Again, don't know bikes - but I would say the peripheral vision thing instead of turning your head. That would be something you can pratice when alone - and then with one person far enough away so that you have conversations and learn not to look.. then next thing you know - you'll be leaning on your handlebars (or whatever it technically is) in a big group & doing awesome!

Speaking of awesome - great job on the 20. I hope your bumps and bruises are healing well!

:) said...

Whew...glad you both are okay! Don't feel bad about it. Danger comes with the sport.

At least you didn't fall off the couch! :)