Thursday, August 31, 2006

LVM Training Week #2

I'm 4 days into week #2 now. Here's what's been going on. I took a rest day Monday. It was much needed after the back-to-back 5k and 13 miler. I picked back up Tuesday with Intervals. FIRST said I was to do:

1 mile warmup
4 x 800m w/2 min rest
10 min cooldown

I went over to the track around 5:30 and found that I had to break and enter again. And they are making it harder on me. The place I slipped through the last time was blocked with orange fence. AND - instead of 1 soccer goal, there were 2 - one on the each straight-a-way blocking the entire width of the track. Michele wasn't along this time, so I didn't even bother moving them. I just ran around them in the grass instead. Garmin and I regained our trust during this outing, by the way. I learned how to create a workout in the software and download it to the device, so I ended each interval "when I pushed the lap button" instead of when it thought I went a certain distance. It worked great! Here are the results:

1.01 mile warmup: 10:44 (I was half asleep)
4 x 800 w/2 min rest:
1 mile cooldown: 9:32

My target time for each 800 was 3:31. As you can see, I didn't hit it, but I came pretty close. And hey - they are negative splits!! AND, they are better than my previous 800s too. I was happy with this workout. I also did some strength training and went to Yoga class that evening. The Yoga felt SO good. I used my new $7 yoga mat that I puchased at Marshall's and really liked it. The lunges and leg weights I did made my legs sore, as usual...but that stuff just has to be done.

Wednesday was a cross training day. I started the morning at 5:15 when Briar and I went to the rec center. We jogged 2 miles and then swam laps in the pool. The jogging really isn't cross training, but it's the best time to get a run in with Briar. I focused hard on my recovery stroke like Coach Dan told me, but only got in about 500 or 600 yards before we had to get home and get on with the day. I rode 20.11 miles on my bike at lunch in 1:04:58. It was a tough quads burned so badly for the first 4 or 5 miles. But I put out a good effort inspite of being a little fatigued. No pain, no gain. What don't kill ya makes you stronger. Right? Right. I'll rest on a rest day sometime soon.

Thursday (today) called for a 7 mile tempo run. 1 mile easy, 2 miles at PMP(9:00), and 1 mile easy. I got up at 5:15 and got ready to go. I tried to wear my heart rate monitor, but couldn't get it to pick up a signal before starting, so I left it at home. The sky was starting to light up as I took off...nice. And it felt wonderfully cool. I need to go back and check what the temp was....because it was just about perfect. Here are the mile splits:

1.Easy - 10:19
2.PMP - 8:52
3.PMP - 8:50
4.PMP - 8:54
5.PMP - 8:49
6.PMP - 8:58 (a lot of uphill)
7.Easy - 9:35

Total Time: 7 miles in 1:04:21
Avg Pace: 9:12

I was very happy with this run. And so far, I am in love with the FIRST program. It is requiring me to run these training runs faster, which is exactly what I need to do. But without a guide or plan, it is my nature to just stroll along. And I am loving the cross training time I get. This afternoon I am planning on doing an open water swim, and then tomorrow will be an easy cross training day...or maybe a rest day...since I am swimming on a running day and have a long run to do Saturday.


david said...

Sounds like you are getting in the training grove with FIRST plan. Good job!

LeahC said...

nice job on your runs. The FIRST plan sounds interesting.

Michele said...

Those are some mighty fine workout you have gotten in this week!!
You are going to kick butt in Vegas!

Firefly's Running said...

Awesome training!!! Way to go!

jkrunning--Just Keep Running said...

Girl you are always on the go. Good for you.

Rae said...

Great job!!!! I got my yoga mat at Marshalls, too! They have some great workout stuff.

E-Speed said...

I love First too! Too bad I can't get the paces they want me to yet! Some day!