Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Million Bucks

That's what I feel like today. It finally happened. I finally crashed and my body insisted that I rest. I haven't felt great in some time now. I kept pushing through it, realizing that my workouts were not the quality that they have been in the past. I pushed through while camping, getting very little sleep, and pushed back into a new week yesterday. After my sub-par run yesterday morning, I didn't even make it to the pool. I left work yesterday feeling like I very well could fall asleep during the 20 min drive home. But I made it, and I did some house cleaning and then laid down on the couch at 6:30 p.m. I woke up to stumble to the bed at 10:30 p.m. and went back out immediately. The next thing I knew it was 4:30 a.m., and I felt like a brand new person!

E.B. and I had a great 25 mile ride this morning, and then I went and did lunges, leg press, hamstring curls, leg extensions, butterflies, upright row, bent arm pull-down, abs and back extensions. And how I know that I am rested and revived is because I did not dread it. I enjoyed it again! Depriving myself of rest and sleep not only affects me physically, but mentally as well. Nine times out of 10, it is a lack of sleep that can be blamed when I am low on motivation. Lesson learned. Again.

I hit a dog this morning on my bike. We were riding along, around 19 mph, when this little pug nosed looking dog comes charging out of nowhere and just never stops. I saw it coming, and I yelled(a not-so-nice word) and braced myself...and...

bu-bump...bu-bump...
...following by lots of yelping

Too bad little dog....I hate it for him (no I don't), but he picked the wrong biker to pick on this morning. I was not eating pavement again, this soon, if I could possibly help it.

11 comments:

:) said...

That dog did that to himself. Glad you didn't go down! I have hit dogs (and squirrels) before...it's scary.

So glad you are feeling better!!! :)

Unknown said...

great work. far to often we get use to the feeling of doing to much that we take it as the norm. Good to hear your feeling better.

Cheers.

Rice.

greyhound said...

Fill in the blank:

Load and ______________

Oh, yeah! recover! Sleep is good.

And I think Shelby was trying to reach you again on the podcast.

IronTriTim said...

Your body knows what it wants. Just sometimes you have to ask it twice just to make sure it is really tired!

Loved the dog story, normally they are too fast to catch!

Kevin said...

Kamikaze pug! He should've listened

Bigun said...

now you can put the outline of a dog with a red slash though it on your bike frame. I'm jealous. Only squirrels for me so far.

jahowie said...

I'm glad that you were able to get some rest. I'm also glad that stupid dog didn't take you down.

Jill Ann said...

So glad the Big Bad Tough Lana is BACK!! Yea! Sorry dog..but I'd do the same... Just keep on pressing through...soon, it will be taper time.

PS Thanks for the BDay wishes...Oh, I am happy for the extra 5 minutes on BQ'ers...but not that I have to run against master runners now..ugh! Maybe they'll all be sweet to me...I hope!

Benson said...

Great to hear you're sparking all cylinders again.

hopefully that dog is better trained now.

Steve Stenzel said...

Glad you're doing better!!!!

Liam S said...

Thanks for tthis blog post