Monday, July 07, 2008

She's Alive!

I do apologize for the interruption of this blog. I've had a few things going on lately that have somewhat shifted my focus and barely left time to train, much less to blog about it. Last week was Briar's all-star tournament. You guys know I love triathlon, but there's just nothing that compares to watching your kid play baseball. They got drilled the first game, so from then on out me and the rest of the parents got our act together and brought out the cowbells, the rock shakers and music. The kids responded, and came back and won 2 games back to back before they got put out Wednesday night. It was sad, and it put me in a BAD MOOD! Being at the park until 11 p.m. each night yelling and cheering until my voice was gone made those early morning workouts easy to push off. I got in a few, but overall, last week was not a good one. It was worth it, though. And that is an understatement. Just check him out:If missing a bike ride and a couple of swims costs me an hour or two at IMFL, so be it. It was way worth it. One of these days I hope to be able to put into words how proud I am of this child...but for now, I can't hardly find them. I can only find a big lump in my throat when I think about the character he has shown all season long. He turned a not-so-good '07 season into a spectacular '08 season in which his team played for the City Championship. He broke his arm halfway through the season but still never missed a practice. He made the all-star team and played with everything inside him. He even dug down deep and refused to get down on himself when he struck out after battling fiercely with the pitcher in the bottom of the 5th, his team behind, with runners on base and 2 outs...then as he went back on to the field for defense he looked up at me sitting in the stands - just sitting there- and he motioned for me to get up and cheer and keep supporting the team. I am proud of him. He reminds me of the following Mark Twain quote:

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Ironman is a huge commitment, but it's nothing compared to the commitment of being a mother. The day I get that mixed up is the day I don't do this stuff anymore. 'Nuff said.

So Little League baseball is not the only thing hindering my training. Two Saturdays ago I was on my way to McMinnville to watch my peeps compete - I was doing intervals, standing in my largest gear for 1min/easy for 5 min, and during my third set of going hard my chain just popped off out of nowhere. Have you ever been hammering at 25 mph, standing, and had your chain to come off? If not, this is what happens:
Plus a shoulder and elbow minus their skin and a big purple hip. Suffice it to say it hurt. No broken bones or anything, thankfully. The bike shop said my chain had a bent link in it, and my rear hub had some issues too. They fixed it all, but I still now have a $3k bike that's been wrecked, scratches all over my shifters and break calipers, and a Dura-Ace derailer with scratches all over it. That just doesn't seem right to me, especially since I wasn't shifting or doing anything to cause the chain to pop off...and I haven't even had the bike for 3 months.

So I finally got back on my bike a week later and did a 2 hour ride, but I had a lot of negativity going on in my head. I'd be lying if I didn't say that it's gotten to me a little bit, mentally.

About the time I was getting back into the swing of things, though, Briar came down with a bad stomach virus. But he is better now. I ended up with some good weekend workouts, and I am finally back on track with the IM schedule.

I wonder if Shelby knew that I had a bike wreck?

21 comments:

:) said...

Yeeeoooowwwwch. That looks painful! Hope you heal up soon. Keep hammering away on the bike...don't let up or let it get to ya. :)

Holly Jane said...

Peroxide, peroxide, peroxide! I have to admit I was 1 PROUD aunt of Briar last week! All I could think as "Dat's MY nephew!" :-)

Great job on stuffing the training into the already hectic schedule.... "Dat's MY sista!" lol

Trisaratops said...

What an awesome kid...

Well, gee, I wonder where he gets all THOSE qualities?

:)

Little boys are the best, aren't they? Well, yours isn't so little I guess...

Hope your bumps and bruises heal up quickly!

kmholt7 said...

Great job Briar! Isn't being a mother just the greatest???

Carrie said...

Ouch. It can only pop once, right? Sounds like your son has the fire inside as well.

Lisa said...

Oh my, I hope you & the bike have healed.

Great job in the tournament!

Stephanie said...

My FIL coaches 11-year olds in Hendersonville, and they went to the All-Star tournament. Does Manchester and H'ville play eachother? My FIL has been coaching for almost 30 yrs, and he's really good. He always coaches the all-star team.

Bike wreck...ouch! I had my first bike wreck August 17th, 2006. Broke 3 bones in my hand. Did IMFL on Nov 4, 2006. I think it almost benefitted me to spend all of that time on my trainer in the aero position b/c IMFL is so flat that's where you want to be! But it did mess with my head. When I finally got to ride outside again, I was a little nervous to take corners. But it goes away, so don't worry.

momo said...

ouch, lana! that looks painful. and something doesn't seem right about the chain popping like that, either. any chance you can contact the manufacturer?

and, girl, you have your priorities straight and that is a beautiful thing.

big hugs to you!

Jill Ann said...

I agree with Momo on contacting or emailing the bike mfg. Sometimes there is a limited warranty on stuff like that!

Briar has one awesome Mommie! And he is one incredible kid. You're doing exactly what you should be...the cheering I'm gonna do for YOU is gonna make you drool for that finish line...so don't worry one bit.

triguyjt said...

briar looks like a little ballplayer....

yes, being mom outweighs ironman..every time.... not that i am a mom, of course

man did you get mangled there on the leg..

heal up...cowbell girl

Unknown said...

Chains stretch and contract, just like cables, etc. Not saying you did anything wrong, but sometimes stuff just happens and you don't notice it until it drops and you get thrown. I'm very glad you're healing and that you got back on the bike. Of course you're a bit negative after a nasty encounter with the asphalt, but I know you'll not let that slow you down.

tri-mama said...

If it helps at all, I trained to June 10th (my first half) then pretty much took the summer off, just maintaining my base. I worked on shorter, faster rides, and did one century. I didn't dial in for Florida until the day after Labor Day, when the kids went back to school. You could do Florida sub 13 tomorrow-just hold that base through summer- it's a really long season when the big race is in November. I'm so glad you took baseball over tri- way to go Briar! and that bike wreck just plain scares me-heal fast!

Anonymous said...

Great action pictures! Sometimes spending time with the people who are most important in your life is jsut what your soul needs. Plus, I think you train better and harder knowing you aren't sacrificing the important things. Great job keeping life in balance.

Ryan said...

If you ride them long enough, you are bound to have a fall. Thank goodness you were not hurt, skin grows back.

What about setting your trainer up at the ballpark and riding while watching the game?

That would be funny!!!

jahowie said...

Ouch!! That looks pretty bad. I hope that you heal up OK. I've never had a chain break and I hope that I never do. Take care.

Darrell said...

The kid sure looks good. Missing a little trainig for that memory is way worth it.

Bummer about the bike and the damage to your skin. Freaky things happen, I guess. Heal well.

greyhound said...

You've got so much time until November, that a week of family time is not going to hurt you, and will probably help.

BUT, now that you're back, GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME, SISTER!! Rub some dirt on it and get going. **hee hee**

Stay on target.

Michele said...

Those are awesome pics of Briar. he looks like a real super star. Glad you took the time to be there for him, much more important.

Hate that you messed up that brand new bike, that sucks. hope they got it all fixed and ready to roll again.

Brooke said...

Looks painful...hope you heal soon.

IronTriTim said...

Ouch, hope you ae feeling better. I have also let some of my training slip this past week. I have also been appreciating my new family, and I don't want to miss a moment.

Bigun said...

Shelby called and is offering up his services to buff out all the scratches out of your bike - not sure if you want to hear the rest of his message...it's kinda...bad...but then again, that's Shelby for ya.

Keep on cranking!