Thursday, July 10, 2008

Distracted

There's not always a runner's high. Newton's law of gravity seems to apply to my training. Sometimes The Fire Inside is only an ember. I've been distracted.

There's no need in sugar-coating it. Every workout has been a struggle. I'm taking it one swimming stroke, one pedal stroke, and one step at a time. One day at a time. My heart's not in it right now. I normally go through a little period of burnout around this time of summer, but this one has been magnified by the bike wreck and crazy schedules, by not enough sleep, etc . It's like I realize that it's July, and summer is almost over, and all I want to do is savor every warm, summer minute I have with my kids and my family. Somehow, that bleeds over into my not wanting to get up and work out early in the morning, either, even though the kids and family would never know the difference. I've missed some morning workouts, but I've been making them up at lunch and after work - in the heat, making it even harder and sometimes costing me more time with the kiddos after all. I just feel mentally drained. I need a big, hard kick in the ass. Or maybe a week long vacation at the beach with a margarita in my hand. Or maybe I just need to keep on taking this thing one. day. at. a. time until I snap out of it. All I know is that it's not always easy juggling this stuff, and sometimes I can't help but let it get to me. The bottom line is that there is only 24 hrs in a day, and every day is a gift. Opportunities pass, and certain ones never return. Most of the time, I can get it all in. Sometimes I can't. Lately, I could do better if I would get my head in the game.

We're working on it, though. I had an awesome brick this morning and a great 2500yd open water swim yesterday, along with a 30 minute run. I wasn't particularly in the mood for any of it, but I got it done. I'm holding steady, trying not to blow up...just waiting on the fire to return.

15 comments:

The (IRON) Clyde said...

I posted this exact same thing two days ago...hang in there, I know I'm trying.

greyhound said...

Dog days of summer. It's a southern thing. I hear you and have a few suggestions if you feel like having them.

Lisa said...

Hang in there and a short break for you might do you some good. :)

IronTriTim said...

Went through exactly the same thing last year heading towards IM FL. What worked for me was to take a short break, and don't force the training. Get your head straight and you will come back so much stronger.
You don't need to do every training item in the plan to still complete the IM well.

:) said...

Hang in there, you will be back a-blazing before you know it!!!

Christine said...

Hey Girl! Dont get down too much. We all go through it. It takes a while to pick back up...and time with family and those you love...priceless! You cant take anything for granted. Give yourself time. Maybe you can schedule some fun workouts with the kids...relay races with the kids and your husband. Just a way to get in some fun sprints or something like that?

Jumper 2.0 said...

Ok, preachy here, but you are not going to be any good to you, your family, your training unless you take care of yourself.
Take a break. Then when you start back up, slowly progress!
I can't say I know this from experience unfortunately, but life experience tells me I just may be right anyway.

Tracy said...

Yep so been here, how's your diet treating you? I know it's a stretch, but maybe switch that up a bit? I tried backing down on the carbs a bit and it worked some kind of miracle. Worth a shot for a day or so just to see if it helps. A good book to read to get you out of the dumps too is Eat, Pray, Love ... it's funny and poignant all at the same time.

Lauren Starks said...

One day at a time, one foot in front of the other - keep on keepin' on.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Honey!!! I hope you get back to loving it again soon. Focus on the tequila at the hotel pool the day after IMFL...
I'm sorry you crashed your bike - and that your bike is feeling better soon, too.
xoxoxoxo
Jenny
p.s. - Will mentioned the carb thing - I'm gonna suggest more water. I always feel more energetic when I drink a lot more water than I think I need... good luck, Lana. ;-)
p.s. - the baseball pitching pics are AWESOME.

Anonymous said...

I think we all face times like these. My only advice is to make sure you are making time for yourself aside from working out. Even if it is just 10 minutes of reading a book or watching a tv show you enjoy, do something not related to training. And, enjoy the summer a little, you can have fun. Take the boys for ice cream or go somewhere you all enjoy. You just need to recharge. Don't let the workouts dictate your life, remember why you are doing them.

kmholt7 said...

My workouts have been less than impressive for a couple of months. I'm blaming it on the heat (sounds as good as anything). Join me for some margaritas and we can talk about it. :)

Bethany said...

You will get through this! Maybe you all should hit Fam Camp this weekend...

Born To Endure said...

Good grief..I feel your pain..please let me know what works..I'm going through the same..hang in there kiddo!

momo said...

it'll come back, lana, i promise. just hang tough and take a few days off and your normal fire will come back. a few days off is a GOOD thing and it will make you that much better for imfl.

remember all the time i took off?? ;-)

big hugs, girl.