Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Different Kind of Recovery Bath

I love an ice bath on a hot summer day after a long, hot, sweaty long run. It really does promote recovery, in my own humble opinion, and leaves my muscles and joints not hardly as sore as they are sans ice bath. It's been a long time since I've really run far enough (more than 13 miles) to justify one, though, so I haven't had one in many moons.

Today, though, Holly and I joined up with C.P. for a great 24 mile ride on a beautiful day during lunch. My intentions were to take it easy, being that my training plan said to go easy for 1:30 in my small chain ring. I wasn't really sure about that small chain ring stuff, but I was cool with easy. So we took off, found C.P. on the course, and started riding. After my legs got rid of the initial burn from the lactic acid still left in there from yesterday mornings run, they felt good. The weather felt even better, and there was a breeze. Throw in some downhill, and I couldn't help but to hammer here and there a little. Just a little...hammer a little while, feel the air in my face, the sun on my back, then take it easy for a little while and have some good conversation. So we did that for 1:21 over the course of 24 miles, and it ended up being enough to work up a good appetite. So good, in fact, that I decided I'd drink a protein shake before I ate my lunch to fill me up and help my legs recover quickly for tomorrow's long run, which is bound to be long and draining. So I took out my little martini shaker, added the powder and water in the break room at work, lifted the shake up to the side of my head, and proceeded to shake it vigorously.

Vigorously.

As in 'I don't want to be swallowing any chunks' vigorously.

As in 'lets put the bicep power into this protein shake, baby' vigorously.

As in BAM!!! Splash!....what the hell just happened?' vigorously.

Yeah. I took a protein bath. Not an ice bath...a vanilla flavored, muscle recovering, branched-chain amino acid supplementing, belly filling, break room spilling PROTEIN SHAKE BATH. The top ended up on the other side of the room.

All over my face.

All in my hair.

In my ear.

Down my shirt.

All over my clothes.

All over the break room floor.

I hope protein shakes are effective via osmosis.

And learn a lesson from me: Don't use the cheap $2 Wal-Mart martini shaker to mix your protein shakes.

13 comments:

:) said...

Do you have video of this??? Hee.

Kevin said...

ROFLMAO!!!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like something that would happen to me. Your description of the bike ride sounds beautiful! Have fun on your long run.

Jill Ann said...

Try it with a little coffee next time...make a GREAT stain. I have many...ugh. I totally know how you feel.

Lisa said...

Get a stainless steel "serious" martini shacker. When it comes to martinis (or protein shakes) don't skimp. :P

Bethany said...

Oh my! I can only imagine... Talk about good intentions!

IronTriTim said...

Ice baths definitely a fan, protein shake showers... not so great.

kmholt7 said...

Yuck! If it had been a martini shower....not so bad.

Comm's said...

Those shakers can be such a pain. They never seem to work right.

triguyjt said...

this is where we ask to see a picture....sorry about the mess

Darrell said...

Oh man, what a mess.

Eric said...

This could become some sort of new triathlete fetish LOL :-)

Rae said...

Ugh!! At least it wasn't strawberry - or baby puke looking banana!!

I do think using a martini shaker is pretty clever!!