Thursday, May 08, 2008

Packing the bags

Well, not yet. We leave tonight after Bo's game, and I have yet to pack a single thing. I am all sudden nervous. Why, I don't really know. I think I'm actually more nervous about getting everything and everybody packed and getting us all down there, than the actual race. I am a procrastinator, but I despise the fact that I procrastinate. I also try to cram way too many things into short time periods, and the result is nervousness. I had to be off work Tuesday taking Briar to the doctor to get his cast - which by the way, will only be on for 3 weeks - YAY!! - and so I didn't take today off to pack or anything. So I'll have to rush home from work, pack up, and then head to the ball park for games. Hopefully I can get everything done in that 2 hour span. I will no doubt leave some thing(s) at home...let's just hope it's not a wetsuit or bike or something expensive. The next 24 hours are going to be stressful...but once I get there, everything will be fine. I am trained, I am confident, and I am excited.

Oh - except for the fact that I feel like I have broken my left foot. I have not mentioned this because I kept thinking if I ignored it, it would go away...but it hasn't. I could barely walk on it Tuesday, so I have been taking Aleve and trying to stay off of it - no running since Monday, and only 1 easy 10 mile bike. I really have no idea what the problem is or how I hurt it, but it hurts on the outside and back close to the heel. Could just be strained tendons, I guess, but it almost feels like a bone. I don't know...anyways...we're not going to talk too much about it or think too much of it. Swimming shouldn't bother it, biking won't be too hard on it, and as long as I can make it through 13.1 miles of running, we'll deal with it after I cross the finish line. I don't think it will bother me once the gun goes off...the adrenaline will set in, the endorphines will be flowing, and I won't feel a thing. It's my self-generated pain medication...the best and cheapest kind out there.

It's time to rock and roll...

10 comments:

kmholt7 said...

Good luck this weekend! Have a great time.

Anonymous said...

Good luck this weekend. You are going to do great, like you said you are trained. Enjoy the experience you are going to have a blast. Take of your foot for the next 2 days.

Glad to hear your son only needs the cast on for 3 weeks!

Lisa said...

Good Luck Lana!!!!!!!

Carrie said...

The faster you run, the faster you'll get off your foot! Have a great race.

Stephanie said...

Good luck! Be sure to take care of that foot when you get home. I have become the poster child for what happens to idiot triathletes who ignore injuries - what started as a little nagging ankle pain back in Nov/Dec has turned into peroneal tendinitis that won't go away. I ignored it thru the winter and raced at least once a month. I was posting great times - sub 8:00 averages for races 5-10 miles in length, and set a 1/2 marathon PR in Feb with a 1:45:14. My ankle was hurting, but I ignored. I raced, I did hill repeats, I ran in the park. About 1 1/2 months ago I started seeing someone about it at $85 a pop with no relief. 3 weeks ago I saw an ortho surgeon friend who gave me steroids. Steroids didn't make it feel better. Yesterday I saw him again, and now I'm in a walking boot for the next 3 weeks. I had an xray 3 weeks ago, but it didn't show anything. I have an MRI scheduled for next Wed. If that shows nothing as well, we're just going to call it really bad tendinitis and keep me in this boot until I leave for Puerto Rico on the 28th.

So, the moral of the story is, DON'T IGNORE THE PAIN AND GET YOUR FOOT CHECKED OUT!!!! You've got a ton of time until IMFL - best to take time to heal now then have to do it in August, Sept or Oct.

tri-mama said...

God Speed Lana! Have a great weekend!

Jill Ann said...

Oh, I need to buy you a good triathlete packing list! So you won't forget anything when you pack in a rush anymore.

And about the foot, it may be what Stephanie said. Which means...weak glutes. Huh? Yep. I have it too. Had it all last summer. What to do? Squats. Lunges. Just get through it and kick booties down there. Then, come back and squat and lunge your body to death!

Michele said...

Good luck girl, wish I was down there racing with ya.
You are going to do awesome.
Can't wait to hear all about it.

You have a month to rest up and get that foot well before IM training starts. Take care of yourself.

Eric said...

Have a great race :-)

Trisaratops said...

Go get 'em, girl!