Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Spartan Race 30 Day Challenge - Day 1



Quote of the day: "If you don't dare to begin, you don't stand a chance of getting there." - unknown

Here's the workout:

4 x 100 lunges ( 50 each leg) 
2 x 50 crunches 
7×10 push-ups 
2 x 50 crunches 
4 x 50 b/w squats 
2 x 50 crunches 
25 chin ups

I started at 4:45. I needed to start at 4:15. I wanted to run 4 or 5 miles, then do the above. Since I slept 30 extra minutes, I ran 1 mile then did the above.

Lunges - I did them all, but I did a variety of walking lunges, standing lunges, and jump/cross lunges. Probably the most lunges I've ever done at one time.

Crunches - I did them all (all 6 sets of 50), again different varieties. Traditional crunches, bicycle, and reverse crunches.

Squats - Did them all normal squat style. Legs started really getting tired near the end.

Chin ups - I gave it all I had in the time I had. First try, I did 5 full-blown chin ups. Second try, I barely got 4. The next 16 were pitiful. Pulling, grunting, shaking, getting light-headed, it was a sight. I added some momentum help with a little jump to get some of them, and near the end I just could not get my chin above the bar.  I held the last ones as far as I could go for as long as I could until I got to 25.

...and I trembled uncontrollably for the next 2 hours.

How I felt: I didn't feel well at all. I was tired and not extremely motivated, and I would have preferred to have just been out running 5 or 6 miles. It was raining, though, so that made this workout a little more acceptable since I did it in the garage. Completing this was definitely a challenge but certainly not impossible.

One day down, 29 to go. I got word that Ramsey gutted this one out, too, later in the afternoon.

To see real Spartan Race bloggers version of this, go to their Day 1.

No comments: