Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Final 15 lbs. Day 3

Day 3 started with not enough protein for breakfast, again, but I tried to make up for it at lunch. Dinner was spaghetti, fixed by my husband, but it wasn't too bad since the beef was ground round and the pasta was whole wheat. I'm not eating a frozen dinner EVERY night. I did have a piece of cheese toast with it, but I think the protein in the cheese and the fiber in the bread helped me feel more full than had I not had it. And the dessert, well, Bo was eating a Hershey bar, and he ever so sweetly offered me the last few bites, and well, chocolate + Bo's sweet smile = What the heck, just eat it. Calories were up a little, but I'm okay with the day as a whole. The chocolate DID make want to raid the kitchen for more sugar, but I fixed a cup of hot green tea and was perfectly satisfied and very happy with my choice. That, my friends, is progress.

Exercise consisted of a 3 mile run at lunch w/4x400yd intervals, abs, 20 pushups, bicep curls and shoulder press w/10lb dumbells, lat pull down, tricep pull down, and free weight bench press. Master's swim was at 6 p.m. and we got in 2400 yds - great workout - I was smoked. Yes, it's embarrassing to be smoked after 2400 yards when you were doing 4,000 a few months ago, but that's where an extended haitus will get you. Gotta pay the price. I'll be back.










































































































































Breakfast Calories Fat Carbs Protein
Kashi
Heart-to-Heart
Instant Oatmeal
160 2 33 4
Banana,
1 medium
109 1 28 1
Lunch Calories Fat Carbs Protein
Earthbound
Farms Organic
mixed baby green salad, 2 cups
15 0 4 1
Weight
Watchers Smart Ones Lasagna Florentine
290 9 35 15
Honey
Roasted Turkey Breast (Deli Select Ultra Thin), 2 oz
60 1 4 11
Afternoon
Snack
Calories Fat Carbs Protein
Grapes,
1/2 cup
48 0 12 0
Yoplait
Light Blueberry Patch, 6 oz
100 0 19 5
Dinner Calories Fat Carbs Protein
Whole
Wheat Spaghetti, cooked (pasta), 1 cup
174 1 37 7
Ragu
Spaghetti Sauce (tomato sauce), 0.67 cup
107 4 16 3
Ground
beef, extra lean, 2 oz
133 10 0 11
ature's
Own Double Fiber Wheat Bread, 1 slice
50 1 13 3
Kraft
Singles American Cheese, 1 serving
60 5 1 3
Dessert Calories Fat Carbs Protein
Hershey's
Milk Chocolate Candy Bar 0.25 serving
58 3 6 1
Total 1364 37 208 65


As you can see below, I'm really close to a 60/20/20 ratio (carbs/protein/fat). But I think I'm probably still eating too many carbs and not enough protein. I'm not sure I could live on a 40/30/30...but maybe a 50/30/20. Give me your thoughts on this.

4 comments:

Jill Ann said...

I am liking the 3rd day much better. Each day, is getting SO much better....!!! I think if you can back off the carbs just a little more, and figure out what protein sources you love - add them in - life will be perfect!

I am with you on the sugar- if you don't eat it, you don't miss it...but if it touches your lips, the house had better go on lockdown.

PS 2400? Ugh...I can barely swim 50 without gasping for air. Did you ever feel that way when you started?? Write me and tell me how it gets better.

Michele said...

That morning protein would have given your numbers just the right boost.
Can't wait to see how weigh in Monday goes.

Christine said...

You should get some good protein to make shakes! They are the perfect filler :) You are doing great..keep it up!

Bill said...

Two options, but you need to be willing to revamp how you eat.

Paleo for Athletes - http://www.trainingbible.com/pdf/Paleo_for_Athletes_Cliff_Notes.pdf

Primal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/weight-loss-plateau/

I was amazed at the difference adopting these concepts had made. I'd been at a plateau for many years, especially while training for my IM-distance race in 2007. Last year while in Iraq I started applying the principles (no pressure on the family to join me at that time). I'm dropped my 15lbs slowly over six months, but more importantly, my body-fat percentage dropped 8%.

Overall, I've found Primal to be a bit less restrictive than Paleo, although Paleo for Athletes is directed more towards endurance athletes. Both have the same fundamental concepts, but the devil's in the details.

And don't worry about the initial appearance that these are "low carb" diets. They are not. Just picking your carbs from the right (natural) sources. I was able to run a 40-miler last year while eating this way.

Good luck, Lana. We're rooting for you!