Thursday, April 03, 2008

Regrouping

It's time to take a step back. My clue was when I tried to go out for my bike ride yesterday 5 times, and each time had to return because something wasn't right. The first time, my chain was off and needed lube in a bad way. Second, I had one glove on and one glove still laying on the kitchen counter from where I had been scrubbing the grease off my hands. Third, the wind was cold, and I needed a jacket. Fourth, the dog was loose, and he followed me out onto the highway. And the last one, I got a half mile down the road on my fifth attempt at said ride and realized I had no helmet on. At that point I parked the bike, took off the biking gear, put on the baseball mom attire, and drove to the park to watch the last hour of Bo's practice. It think that's probably where I should have been all along.

I got myself into this mess because I could not get out of the bed at 4:30 a.m. to do the ride on the trainer. And when I say "could not," I mean that quite literally. It's not that I didn't want to get out of the bed, but that I literally have deprived myself of sleep lately until my body absolutely refused when the mind said "Get up!"

I've said it before, but I need to say it again: Self-discipline for today starts the night before.

Saturday was Opening Day for Briar and his Little League team. They won in the last inning - he scored the winning run. He was on second base and his good friend knocked him in with two outs!
Sunday the boys participated in a Youth Duathlon. It was a lot of fun, but fairly unorganized as those things usually are around here. Briar's age group ran 1 mile, biked 4 miles, ran 1 mile. Bo's age group ran a half mile, biked 2 miles, and ran a half mile. They had some friends that did it with them which made it a lot of fun. No places or results, but every kid got a medal. I don't have the pics on my computer yet - I'll post them later.

I got a good night's sleep last night, and I feel somewhat better today. I'm not as frightened this time as I used to be when I have to scratch a workout and take time to regroup and make sure I have my priorities straight. It's just part of it. Just a small bump in the road to Ironman.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you just have to listen to your body. I think making sure your physically and mentally rested are both important aspects to training. There are days when you just need an extra push to get you out there and then there are days when you have to slow down and take time for yourself. Glad you are feeling better.

Christine said...

Whats meant to be will be. SOmetimes just spending a day with family is what you need to regroup and refresh. You get so caught up in the daily rigors of training, that sometimes you forget whats important. You've had so much going on lately, esp with your Mom recovering. Give yourself some "me" time. I'm sure there will be many more "bumps" in the road during IM training..and this will help you realize its no biggie..and sometimes...its quite actually GREAT! Get em girl!

Marathoner in Training said...

Sometimes the body needs the rest and remember that the family is one of the most important things in our life.

greyhound said...

To borrow a phrase from my Dad's folks who hail from the deep south, "Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug."

Taconite Boy said...

Speaking as a classic 'under-trainer', Your doing fine. sometimes you just need to rest both body and mind.

Lots of time until Florida Lana

:)

TJ said...

Yep. Sometimes you gain much more from the rest. Good call.

Way to go Briar!

momo said...

oh, lana! i could write this post many days of the week. you're right - you were probably best off where you ended up.

just know, there are many days left to imfl, and missing a workout here and there makes you appreciate the ones you make all the more.

you're doing great, girlfriend!

Brianna said...

Funny how life has a way of letting us know when we need to change our course. Glad you were able to regroup and enjoy your son's practice. And - hooray for sleep!

triguyjt said...

discipline for today begins the day before....very good way of looking at things... (he said, while eating doves chocolates thinking he'll run a little more monday am to .....well....you get the drift..

thanks