Sunday, April 06, 2008

It's all about balance

First of all, congratulations to my friend, Trisaratops, who recently became the newest member of EvoTri!! Comm and Triboomer sure did give it a good shot - I wish they all could have gotten in. I'm sure that Trisaratops will represent us well, though, and Comm and Triboomer will continue to be a driving force for triathlon in their communities and throughout the blogosphere.

Training went well this weekend. I got out and did 6 mile run Thursday during my lunch break and got drenched in rain. It was fun, actually, after I realized I was completely soaked and might as well enjoy splashing through the puddles. When is it that we go from a kid who seeks out the puddles to a boring adult who tries everything possible to avoid them? I'm not sure, but I became the kid again during this run. A quick shower and blow drying of the hair, and I was back at work coding away on the computer. Then went for an 1800 yd swim that evening and a mile run with the boys.

Friday called for a 4,000 yd swim and a 3:30 bike. I got up and did the 4000 yds early and had planned on doing the bike ride immediately afterwards - rain or shine. But the rain was just solid, and I couldn't seem to find the kid again to make me want to spend three and a half hours on the bike in the rain. So I went home and did 3 hours of Tough Love with Coach Troy followed by 30 minutes of spinning and watching television. It rained all day, too...and I can't say I wish I had rode in it...I'm not sure it was even really safe to be riding in that for 3 and a half hours.

Saturday was a 10 mile run, done early and in only a slight mist of some rain at the start. I did the 10 miles in 1:29, and I felt the Tough Love in my legs for every step. Ouch.

Sunday was a rest day on my plan, but also the day for swim class. But it was pretty. Sunshine and 70 degrees. Wanna take a guess what I did? Here's a sample:


We ran another mile towards their Country Music Kid's Marathon, we played lots of baseball, and we rode our bikes down to the state park and skipped rocks in the river. Sure, I could have benefited from swim class...but the plan did say to rest...and this was just good for my soul. Their's too, I think. It's all about balance.

Oh yeah...my kids think I'm famous now. The TacBoy and Bigun called to interview me Thursday night and they really thought I must be famous. I tried to get J.T. to buy into it as well...but I'm not sure he fell for it. Cool stuff, though - go check out their podcast - those guys are hilarious! It has been determined that my "super hero" is She-Ra-the Princess of Power in their League of Triathletes.

7 comments:

TJ said...

Can't wait to hear the interview.

jahowie said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. I still think it's really cool that your kids are doing that.

greyhound said...

If you poured on the southern charm, I'll not be able to work out while I listen. I'll get all wobbly in the knees.

Jumper 2.0 said...

She-ra definitely sounds appropriate!

And Lana, you are famous!

It's going to be interesting to learn how you use your superhero powers.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous Sunday! Well done on your workouts. You are right, balance is key.

Darrell said...

Way to enjoy the rest day with the boys. You'll be glad you did someday when you realized they're all grown up like mine.

Di said...

nice way to spend a day!! Go She-Ra!!!