Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Hot Weather

I love it.

It reminds me of when I was 8 years old riding my bike up and down the driveway out in the hot summer sun.

It reminds me of seeing my Dad walk in from outside with sweat dripping off his head and saying "It's a hundred degrees out here, Girls!"

It reminds me of Little Crow Creek. Digging up potatoes. Sleeping with the windows open. Waking to the rooster crowing. And butterscotch pies.

It reminds me of a go-cart and Lakewood Acres.

It reminds me of a garden, a bug zapper, Ma and Pop, and me and Holly running around in their backyard.

It reminds me of cruising the roads with my friends when I was in high school - the windows down and the AC on...Windows down so that we could hear anyone who might yell at us, and the air conditioner on to keep our make up from melting off our faces!

It reminds me of 800m repeats and stadium stairs at 3:15 p.m. in August during the same temps for basketball conditioning.

It reminds me of Courtney, Kris, Erica, Kimberly and The Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Under The Bridge"(I don't eva wanna feeeeel...like I did that day)...and rope swings over Fire Lake, and watching guys jump off of bridges into the water to impress us.

It reminds me of skipping school, the lake, a red Dodge Dakota, and a guy I thought hung the moon (and that I now call my husband).

It reminds me of listening to Bob Seger, even though that was supposed to have been for a different generation. Roll Me Away. Night Moves. You'll Accompany Me. I didn't care. It was good stuff.

It reminds me of a blow up swimming pool, a cute little play fort, and two cute little boys running, splashing and playing...and not realizing how hot it was.

I love hot weather. I can breath in hot weather. I can sweat in hot weather. I can be myself in hot weather. I wish it never went away.

Sure, it affects your pace, I know that. But c'mon - it's 68 degrees at 5:00 a.m. That's perfect running weather. And you've always got the wind in your face on the bike. It's the best of both worlds.

9 comments:

Brooke said...

See, me and 5am do not get along, so therefore me and 100 degrees don't get along.

But all your "reminds me" of's were awesome.

Tri-Dummy said...

Sounds good to me, too.

Enjoy it!

RunToTheFinish said...

I agree, I love summer. However, it's been hanging on to 78 and 80% humidity overnight here and that's just not right. Summer nights are supposed to cool off, so you can enjoy the morning!

Benson said...

I'm just catching up here. Man, you are one TOUGH CHICK! Your race and your running inspire me.

I love your summer reminders. I'll have to do that on my blog as well. I really like the hot summers...to a point.

my word verification was tkaqo, as in hot taco?

Anonymous said...

In one of your other posts you thinking of going back to school. I think you should think about writing. Some of your posts are so poetic. They just want to make me stop and think about my past memories.

Joe said...

That's way too hot for me. I miss the rain...

Trisaratops said...

I heart me some Bob Seger! Thought I was the only one. :)

Man...you're a tougher chick than I...I pretty much hate anything over 85 degrees! This low 90s stuff is killin' me. Give me some snow! hee hee

Kate said...

I'm such a heat wimp, but I'd take hot over cold any day now.

Rae said...

Girl, you can have it! I will bottle up all 107 degrees and send it down I-24 to you! I am ready for some 80's!! An 80-something day sounds PERFECT!