Sunday, June 17, 2007

Trading Moon Pies for Bonnaroo

Well, no Moon Pie race. I dreamed about it all night Friday night, and woke up promptly when the alarm went off, but just didn't ever get out of the bed to go do it. Instead, I opted to run 10 miles with Michele on Sunday morning. 5:30 on Sunday morning to be exact...and 5 hours after I returned home from watching The Police play at Bonnaroo. Sting(biceps...omg..biceps) is just too cute, by the way. So anyways, I was in such a deep sleep that I evidently turned my alarm off at 5:00 when it rang, and I didn't wake up until 5:29. Did I mention I was supposed to meet Michele at 5:15??? Ooopps! So I ran to the phone in a panic, and thank God she hadn't given up on me yet. I got dressed in a rush and got down to the rec center. We decided to try running down Bushy Branch Rd...which goes straight through Bonnaroo. And they let us, surprisingly. It was a cool run, and all the scenary distracted my mind from the pain I was in. I am sure of that because about a half a mile past all the excitement I immediately got nauseaus. At mile 7 I told Michele that I was running straight to the car and that was it - which would only have been 9 miles. But at mile 8, I was feeling okay again. So I decided to go for 10. And for some reason (it must have been Michele's idea), we ran up Jail Hill(ouch!) and back down to get 10 miles in 1hr 35min and change. See chart below for pace and elevation:

I am getting Briar back in shape starting tomorrow. I told him a week ago he had one more week to be lazy, because Monday the 18th, he's starting Mon, Wed, and Friday mornings with me. I have no idea how I'm going to get my own training in...but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I honestly don't know how this is going to work out, but I'm going to give it a shot. Briar always seems to really enjoy early morning workouts with me when I get him up to do them. But getting him up is the challenge. So I'm hoping the key is getting him in bed early. You all know I have to really watch myself with crossing the line of pushing him too hard. So the focus of these workouts is not going to be competitive in nature. I'm not going to push him for a certain pace, distance, or anything like that...but rather focus on getting him up consistently. I'm going to do it 2 weeks, and the evaluate how its going.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

That hill looks pretty brutal. Good for you.

Trisaratops said...

You guys live so close to Bonnaroo? I've ALWAYS wanted to check that out! The lineup seriously rocks every year. Hmmmmm....perhaps I can roadtrip someday!!! :)

Unknown said...

Hills. They're everywhere aren't they! Sigh. Good luck training with the kiddo. I'm sure you'll make it both fun and functional for you both.

Rae said...

Having distractions always helps me on a run!! We try to go and see the sights and explore the 'hood and I love how that makes time pass by.