Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Brick

I did my first real brick of the year today. I did not get up and go to circuit training class this morning because Bo was not feeling well. I had to wait until 7p.m. to do anything. I took off from my house on my bike and rode 20 miles - the same loop Michele and I did last week. I averaged 17.2 mph and did it in 1:07. I put my running shoes on (and remembered that I need to order some speed laces soon) and ran up the hwy and back for 3 miles in 24:45. I felt great! I was expecting my legs to feel heavy and dead, but it wasn't that bad at all. Maybe it was because I wasn't running at the break of dawn for a change.

I did have a first on this bike ride. There are some pretty darn steep and curvey downhills on this route, and I normally ride the breaks pretty hard on the way down because I am a scaredy cat. So today I promised myself that I would give it try without the breaks. I put my arms in my aerobars so I wouldn't be tempted to use the breaks, and let it go - WWWWEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! My max, I think was like 39.5 mph. I should've given it a little more gas and went ahead and hit 40 - that would be a record for me I'm sure. Other triathletes or bikers - what is the fastest you have gone on the bike? Just curious. 40 mph felt awfully dangerous to me!!! But then again, I am a scaredy cat on the bike.

I went to Yoga again last night. I am trying really hard to like Yoga. Not sure if it's gonna pan out or not. It's awfully slow. But I think it really might help my flexibility if I'll stick with it for awhile. So I am going to stick with it for a few more weeks anyways. Heck, I might even purchase one of those little "Yoga mats" if I find one on clearance somewhere.

8 comments:

E-Speed said...

I get scared on the downhills to. I am always in teh drops with my legs tightly squeezed to my frame :) I think I may have hit 37 before.

Great job on the brick.

Michele said...

Great job on the brick. You know the fastest I have ever gone was with you on at same hill a few weeks ago.

jkrunning--Just Keep Running said...

I'm so scared of downhills. Of course I don't ride my bike very often.

I'm not sure what a brick is, but if you are proud of it--congratulations!!

Eric said...

Hey Lana, had to visit you since you posted on mine.

I'll be back alot because I can't argue with anyone who quotes Pre.

Isn't it amazing how your legs can still run after riding. Great brick.

The Running Diva said...

Go speed racer! 40 mph sounds really fast!

DaisyDuc said...

Well I like to go fast on the downhill, yet it makes me so nervous still I have not looked---next time!

Congrats on the solid first brick of 2006!

I picked up a really great yoga set (block, mat, and bands off ebay) for my mom. I am with you on yoga. I know there are benefits but it has seemed hard for me to get into it.

Papa Louie said...

Bricks are a great strength and mental confidence builder. Way to go!

Rae said...

40 mph is SO fast!!!

I've gotten great deals on yoga stuff at TJMaxx and Marshalls before! It's a ton cheaper than Target.