Saturday, February 04, 2006

Mental Fortitude

I said that one day I would write about this...so here goes. When I first started inquiring about doing my first triathlon, I ran across a website that talked about mental fortitude. I was so intrigued that I thought it about constantly. I thought about my lack of it, and how it has affected my life for many years. How a lack of mental fortitude can go all the way back 7th grade track and field when I thought I could barely run a mile. And how it has affected my reactions and decisions in life - as an individual, a wife, and a mother. How could I have missed this for 28 years? I decided that it would no longer be a stumbling block in my life. But just saying that is one thing - actually applying it would be different. Hulaman, on his website, hulaman.com, quotes the selfknowledge.com website as follows about Mental Fortitude:

"That strength or firmness of mind which enables a person to encounter danger with coolness and courage, or to bear pain or adversity without murmuring, depression, or despondency; passive courage; resolute endurance; firmness in confronting or bearing up against danger or enduring trouble. "

How about that?! The thought of being able to "encounter danger with coolness and courage"...or to "bear pain or adversity without murmuring, depression, or despondency" became something I craved. Mainly because I could look back on my life and see that I was just a big wimp. I encountered danger with screams and tears - not coolness and courage. And I reacted to pain and adversity with much murmuring and some depression and despondency. I was weak. I was always "afraid" to tackle a mileage that I'd never done before, for fear that it might hurt a little. And I decided it was time to start changing that. The training that I did for my first season of triathlons helped alot. Wading out into the lake to train for an open water swim...pushing myself to ride longer and farther on the bike...and forcing my legs to keep moving during that bike to run transition - when I wanted to skip out, or whine and murmur - I had to remember that I was increasing my mental fortitude. And what a great feeling! I love that feeling...the one where you are scared of something, but you reach down deep and take on the challange anyways. I think it's the increase of mental fortitude there causes you to come back again...push harder...push further. And it's addictive. I know that I have much more mental fortitude now than before I ever did a triathlon. And I have more now than before I started this marathon training. And I can't wait to see the mental fortitude I will have after running the 26.2 miles in April.
All I know is, I don't want Briar and Bo to grow up with little mental fortitude. I want them to not be afraid to take a risk...to not be afraid to fail...to live life to the absolute fullest and enjoy every minute of it...to be confident in themselves...cool and calm under pressure and able to deal with defeat and let downs without falling apart. I can't shelter them from failure and let downs in this world, I can only train them on how to deal with them. They have to know how to be patient, because your reward may not come when you deserve it. They have to know that pain is only temporary. And time heals all things. So the only way I know how to teach them this is to live it out myself. I still have a really long way to go. I still murmur and complain alot. I still get scared and act like a baby. But we're making progress. And that's why I love this training. I love triathlons. They are increasing my mental fortitude. They are making me a stronger person. And hopefully it will in some way, somehow, rub off a little on the two most precious boys in the world. Hopefully.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post inspired me. Thanks

Nykole Tyson said...

Thank you. I needed to read that myself. Here"we"go...

Anonymous said...

currently training myself for the upcomming la marathon, after chin splints and breasking my right ankle back in march... i can do it! you have inspired me. thankyou