Sunday, January 29, 2006

Week 7 - Day 6: The Long Run

This week's long run was 16 miles. Me, Tracy and Michele met at CCHS around 8:00 a.m. This time we decided to pack some water and some "Sport Beans" for the run. Tracy and I had camelbaks, and Michele had her brand new fuel belt. The fuel belt turned out to be the best idea, because Tracy and I hate our camelbaks. Mine was so uncomfortable I poured some water out after a couple miles...then realized after about 6 miles that I barely had any water left at all..so then I had to bum the rest of the way. We all had Jelly Belly "sport beans" in our pocket, and they turned out to be great. I'll definitely be taking those with me from now on. They are just like Jelly Belly jelly beans, but they have electrolytes and other things in them to help replenish what you are losing while running for so long. Anyways, about this 16 mile run...I didn't feel well at all. I was tired after 2 miles, and very tired at the half way point (the Hands on Science Center in Tullahoma). Tracy didn't feel well either. I think around mile 10 I got to feeling a little better, finally. But I never really felt good. None the less, we all toughed it out and finished in 2:39:18. Just a hair under 10 min/mile.
Things I learned on this run:
- Eat better. I don't know if it contributed to the way I felt, but I haven't been eating very healthy lately. I need to change that immediately.
- Get new shoes. I have done about all I can do with the Asics Gel Kayano. After about 7 miles I started feeling the pad of my left foot bruising again. My cool running log says I have 407 miles on them, and they even gave me a an "alert" that said they were approaching retirement age. Now I just have to find time to get to Fleet Feet before the 18 miles in 2 more weeks.
- Go buy a fuel belt. Michele had no problem with hers, so Tracy and I are definitely getting one. Which ever one of us makes it to Academy Sports first is making the purchase.
- "Sport Beans Rock!" Loved those jelly beans...from now on they are a staple for anything over 12 miles.
- Don't start the sprint farther than a quarter of a mile out. Michele and I started sprinting too soon, and we weren't able to hold it until the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just ordered a case of Sports Beans!!! I won't be doing a long run without them!