Thursday, January 05, 2006

Week 4 - Day 4: 6 Miles on the Track

Whew...this week's hard part is over! 6 miles yesterday at 3:00 pm and then 6 more this morning at 5:30 am - less than 15 hours of rest, but atleast tommorrow is just 3 miles. I will definitely get some swimming done tommorrow. The long run this weekend isn't really a long run - just 6 miles. This is a recovery week, so I sure hope I get recovered nicely.
I got to the rec center at 5:30 a.m. and ran my 6 miles on the track while listening to my MP3 player. I have really got to replace the music on that thing...I've been listening to the same songs for over a year. I used my Garmin to keep up with my laps and boy did that help. I didn't have to constantly be questioning myself as to whether I was counting my laps right or not. 6 miles is 72 laps around that little track, so it's pretty easy to lose count. I love that Garmin. It was a birthday present from J.T., and I have enjoyed it so much.
So, the end of week 4 is nearing the end. It's been almost a month since I started this - How do I feel? I'm gonna have to say I feel pretty good about it. Granted, I am a little tired. My legs feel somewhat fatigued here and there, but they are actually looking alot better so I can't complain about that. My legs are the #1 thing I despise about my appearance. So any improvement on them is a nice extra that I'll gladly accept. And I'm also encouraged by the fact that the holidays didn't slow me down. On the onset of the training, I was a little worried about how I would get all the runs in with so much going on, but somehow I did. J.T. has been very supportive so far, which helps alot. And knowing that Michele and Tracy are doing this as well helps too. Tracy didn't make the long run last Friday with us - but she went to the rec center that night and ran it (12 miles!!) on the treadmill because that was the only way she could get it in!!!! I was amazed...can you imagine 12 miles on the treadmill??? Now there's some encouragement. So mentally, I feel really good. I am still pretty pumped and have a positive attitude. Physically, I feel pretty good, considering I have increased my weekly mileage by over 10 miles. Like I said, I'm a little tired, but I'm alright. And I'm hoping this recovery week will help that too. Next week - I will run farther than I have ever run in my life - 14 miles. So lets see how I feel after that.

No comments: